I buy a 9 ish lb spiral cut ham. I cut the slices off the bone, wrapping them in meal sized portions in freezer paper. When I want to make ham, I take a meal sized portion from the freezer and place it in the crockpot with some pineapple juice and sliced or chunked pineapple. It takes about 4-6 hours on low for the ham to be done. This is a fully cooked ham when I freeze it so basically I am just warming it up.I use any leftovers from that meal in this dish for another meal.
1 9 lb ham can make multiple meals for us. Ham, ham sandwiches, cheesy au gratin potatoes with ham, grilled ham and cheese, diced up in camping eggs, and the ham bone is used for beans and ham, which my mom makes in the pressure cooker and then cans for us. I can get 14-15 meals from one ham. That's a bargain!
Welcome to my virtual kitchen.I enjoy cooking and decided to start a blog with some of my favorite recipes and some recipes I want to try.I wanted them all in one easy to reference place.Feel free to leave comments, especially if you try a recipe I have posted.Most of the recipes you will see here are either recipes I have found and changed or family recipes that have been passed down.I will be working on posting pics as I make the recipes.*I am not a professional so the pics won't look great*
Thursday, November 18, 2010
easy way to get a few meals for pretty cheap
Labels:
breakfast,
crockpot cooking,
good use of leftovers,
ham,
simple dinner
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment